Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Big Boy Bed...Part 2

When we left off in the Big Boy Bed saga, here, my father and I had to make an unexpected repair to Dana's childhood bed and I was getting ready to paint.

I fashioned an impromptu paint hood in our carport out of the GIANT plastic bag that Desmond's mattress came in and it worked great.

A couple coats of primer on the head and foot board and we were looking like this:

Then it got rainy and the bed sat in our sun porch for a couple of months.

Eventually the weather turned perfect and I snagged my opportunity before the heat came to spray some color on. 

I used Rustoleum Painter's Touch in Glossy Dark Gray, in case you wondered.

And in a couple of weekends I was able to call this baby done.

Here it is all shiny and new again, with side rail addition.

 It's a BabyHome Bed Rail, one of the few that work with slat beds, and so far we are loving it. We even took it with us when we traveled to my folks and it works great with a box spring too.

I'm sure you are noticing that I didn't paint the base sides. I never had any intention too. They are metal and I figured one crash with a toy truck and the paint chips would fly. 

Also, as Desmond grows and doesn't need the side rail anymore his comforter will cover the sides.

And that crack in the headboard is barely noticeable now after some wood putty and about eight coats of paint. Even less so when you add throw pillows.

Yes, I managed to finish the throw pillows from this project, and here too, just in time. That cowboy print is from Mary Jo's in Gastonia, North Carolina, we made a special stop en route to Texas last year.

I actually think they look even better with the flannel sheets.

 What are the chances I can score another plaid after Christmas for $5 again this year? Yep, seems unlikely to me too but stranger things have happened.

The orange tumbleweed pattern actually makes another appearance on this bed. The pillow used to be a standard size pillowcase that I thrifted a while ago with a twin duvet here

The duvet ended up being the perfect solution to a prickly slat board problem. I just slid the slat board into the duvet before I set the mattress on top and now I don't have to worry about slivers in the mattress or little fingers.

I'm so glad I followed through with this project and didn't run out and buy something new at the first sign of trouble. With all of the nasty chemicals seeping from new furniture I'm glad we had a better option.

During this process my mother-in-law also informed me that there is a whole other bed just like this at her house. The conversation went something like,"You know those were bunk beds, right?" Insert jaw dropping here. "We have the other one in our attic if you want it." YES!!!

Looks like I'm going to be doing this all over again someday for future baby number 2. Hopefully next time I can get it done in less than three months, maybe.

Friday, August 23, 2013

a different kind of barn sale

 Back in May I was hot on the trail of a "HUGE YARD SALE" when I came upon another, as so happens on the yard sale trail. I did a drive-by and things were looking sparse since it was almost 10:30am, but I decided that a stroll through might be worth it and I was right.

Holy wooden play barn sitting open with it's accessories showing in the middle of much fancier items. It didn't have a price and with no home owner in sight I was ready to move along until...

 ...a voice yelled from the garage "I'm willing to make a deal." So I asked him to name his price and almost fell over when he said, "Well, we were asking five dollars." FIVE DOLLARS!!! 

The barn was in barely played with condition and was all wood. Despite my excitement, this wasn't my first day at the rodeo, so I offered him three bucks and he took it. THREE DOLLARS and it was mine, the man even offered to bring it to my car for me. 

Before I even made it to the car I had already decided to paint it. Alas, it was July before I got around to this.

Despite the nay sayers in my house, ahem Dana, I primed it. The trim was going to be white anyway and I thought it wouldn't hurt.

 I had a small jar of black craft paint hanging around and it covered the roof nicely in two coats without primer. The craft paint was matte and so I gave it another two coats of water-based polyurethane to shine it up and make it smooth to the touch.

I used an Olympic No VOC white base we already had for the trim and I bought a three dollar sample can of Valspar's Burning Bush for the barn red.

My Mom was really impressed that I had made the paint look like real barn planks. This was a happy accident. The brush I used applied the paint inconsistently, it just happened to look really good.

I thought the barn needed to close securely since it came with a corral to store inside and I was going to add animals. Two bucks at Lowe's bought these two perfectly sized hooks. I thought this was going to be a tough find but it was the easiest part.

They went on easy too!

Now to compare; before...

...and after!!!

And with animals!!! Since the barn's total price tag (with hooks and paint) came to a whopping $8 I splurged on the wooden livestock by Plan Toys. 

The sheep's wool can even be removed for shearing! It's awesome.

The most important opinion is Desmond's, of course, and since he plays with it everyday I'd say it's a winner.

It's proven people, in affairs of the heart and yard sales, always go with your gut.