...because they took FOR-EV-ER to make.
I was in need of a second pair of "dress" pants for Desmond. We were attending my nephews' baptism and first communion all in one weekend, out of town. I didn't think his khakis would last a couple of hours stain free let alone two days.
I wanted these to be more than dress pants, I wanted them to actually be wearable after our dressy occasion was over. Seriously, one pair of khakis should cover the rest of the summer.
I headed to my stash and started with an old pair of JCrew linen capris with a fraying waistband that I thrifted a decade ago (not even kidding.)
I combined the pattern for Play Pants from Fabric-by-Fabric One-Yard Wonders with the Coastal Cargos from Pattern Anthology, I fell in love with their bias tape detail.
I also needed to make adjustments for my cloth diapered boy. Although I went up to a size 3T for extra room they were still SUPER narrow and a total fail.
Hello, Mr. Gusset, time to turn lemons into lemonade.
It was so worth the extra effort, you can barely see the gusset.
Besides that little do-over, what took forever were all the bells and whistles I gave these pants, including reinforced knees.
Since they are a 3T they are going to need to be rolled up to avoid tripping, this will be great for the beach too.
The tab and button detail is so cute, I was more than happy to dig into my button stash to make it.
I was able to salvage the front pockets from the original pants but the back pockets were an afterthought. I literally had just enough fabric remaining to make them. I don't think the back would look complete without them.
But, above all, my favorite detail is the green stripes running on the outside and inseam of the pants. When I picked this vintage green bias from my stash I wasn't sure about my color choice but it looks fantastic.
These pants make my heart sing, even if it felt like they took forever. They were worth every minute of it.