Friday, April 26, 2013

Bucket Hat - Season 2

I can't believe it's been a year since I wrote about making this hat for Desmond. What a little baby he still was. 

Well, that hat had a great many compliments all summer long and it was a favorite in our house too. It kept the sun off his chubby little face and it looked great too.


Although he is somehow still fitting into those pants, he had outgrown the hat by the end of last season. So, of course, he would need a new hat for this summer.

I used the exact same pattern from Oliver + S, just the next size up. And, this year, we wouldn't be needing to add the ties.


I am happy to report, as I always am, that these fabrics cost me almost nothing. The green dot was from a yard sale (when I was very pregnant and could barely bend to shop) and the plaid from this years Craft Swap.


It was so much easier to construct the second time around and the fabric combo came out looking great. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics of the reversible side.


I did tweak the pattern just a bit to give the hat a slightly larger brim. I used 1/4" seam allowances instead of the recommended 1/2" but with the same amount of fabric.


As for leaving the ties out, good call. We hardly used them last year and he hasn't even tried to pull off his hat this year, such a mature little man.


Or an old man, because this hat is a bit old-man-y. That may be why I love it so much.


I think the little ladies lovin' it too.


No comments:

Post a Comment