Thursday, May 17, 2012

guestroom makeover part 2: diy custom lamp

There are a couple of things you should know before reading this post. 
First: This is NOT a tutorial on how to cover a lampshade, you can read a better way to do it from these guys here.
Second: I HATE hot glue. I have owned the same hot glue gun for 15 years and I hardly ever use it. It is for crafts, not for home projects that need to stand up to wear and tear, however I found that it worked very well for covering a shade, ta daaa.


But let's start at the beginning, below was the the bedside lamp before. I've had it since college...in the 90's. My mother loves it and she is our most frequent guest but it is worth her "wrath" to freshen things up a bit. If she truly loves it it can travel home with her when she leaves.


It is worth mentioning that buying new was not my first option. I'm a reclaimist, I tried really hard to save this lamp. I purchased, and returned, 5 different glass shades that all looked horrible. Not to mention bringing the lamp around with me and all the shades I tried on it in store. I also attempted removing the painted design with no luck. I was officially over it and moving on.

The lighting situation in this room has been a thorn in my side, what I liked was out of budget and everything else put us back in the old lady realm. Then one day I happened to be at Target and spotted this clearance lamp and it set the wheels in motion.


That's right, was $54.99, now $8.24. Thank you very much.
Looks like it sat for a while, probably due to this unidentifiable shmutz.
Nothing a razor blade couldn't take care of.


Now about a shade. No common shade would do for this custom job. On to the fabric store.


After acquiring a plain lampshade I collected three fabric swatches from the fabulous 
U-Fab. This choice was the obvious winner. I already have a future project in mind for the remnants.
Now down to business with my nemesis the glue gun, aka Arlene.



An extra pair of hands on this project would have been ideal but clothespins worked as a pretty good substitute.


I left the inside edge unfinished (baby woke up)  and came back later (during another nap) to add a decorative binding tape edging.


This picture is why this post is NOT a tutorial. I didn't measure (never intended to) before I started and rolling a slightly angled shade onto a geometric pattern can leave you with mismatched seams. Mine were particularly bad. Binding tape, and Arlene, to the rescue again. I can't believe I actually had a matching color. No worries, this lamp lives in a corner.


To be honest, covering a shade is a big pain, and it ended up being the most expensive upgrade in our guest room so far, but I love the way it looks. And it is custom!!! 


Every time I look at it I smile, and it is making all the difference in that room, which is almost done. Just waiting on a piece of furniture from New York and then the big reveal. 

1 comment: